Knowledge Byte: The Benefits of Cloud Interoperability and Portability
Cloud Credential Council (CCC)
Interoperability and portability are critical to ensure easy movement and migration of services between cloud platforms.
Definition of Interoperability and Portability
● Portability is the process with which application components are moved and reused elsewhere, from mainly on-premise to cloud or from private cloud to public cloud and vice versa.
● Interoperability enables components located separately, on-premise, in a private cloud, in the public cloud, or hybrid cloud, to function together to achieve the intended outcome.
● Portability and interoperability relate to the ability to build systems from reusable components that will work together out of the box.
● Enable services to be scaled across multiple providers by ensuring the seamless movement of data and applications from one service provider platform to another.
● Enable cloud consumers to avoid/prevent vendor lock-in by enabling identical cloud deployments to occur in different cloud provider solutions. The detailed benefits of interoperability and portability are given:
● By using the cloud computing model for IT services, the organizations will be able to reduce their data center infrastructure expenditure by approximately 30% of IT spending that could be migrated to cloud computing solutions.
● Cloud computing can complement data center consolidation efforts by shifting workloads and applications to infrastructures owned and operated by third parties.
● The shift to cloud computing can help to mitigate the fragmented data, application, and infrastructure silo issues by focusing on IT services as a utility.
● Cloud computing can accelerate data center consolidation efforts by reducing the number of applications hosted on-premise.
● Cloud computing allows the organization to use its IT investments in a more innovative way and to more easily adopt innovations from the cloud provider.
● Cloud computing will also help IT services take advantage of leading-edge technologies.
Related products to help you upskill
The industry-recognized CCC Professional Cloud Administrator certification provides you a hands-on, practical approach to Cloud provisioning for administrators and touches upon all the aspects of administering Cloud services. The training covers best practices on Cloud administration, Open Source, as well as global vendor standards.
Never miss an interesting article
Get our latest news, tutorials, guides, tips & deals delivered to your inbox.