Knowledge Byte: Monitoring and Reporting a Cloud Environment
Monitoring the cloud environment is a key component of a successful cloud computing environment.
Monitoring Definition and Objectives
● Monitoring a cloud environment is a continuous activity because the network needs to be available 24 hours a day.
● An organization needs to be able to monitor and manage the cloud environment quickly and efficiently.
● The ability to remotely manage the virtualization environment allows for a flexible way to manage the environment and respond to any issues or alerts that might arise.
● Report tier availability, performance, and throughput so you can better manage the infrastructure that serves your business.
Monitoring Requirements for Cloud Deployments
● Application and Network monitoring and alerting solutions for cloud-based deployments.
● Centralized monitoring solution for cloud environment.
● Dashboard to give the administrator one single pane to view the entire cloud environment.
● A dedicated server for monitoring needs to cater to lost network connectivity, generating an alert to draw attention to the problem.
Monitoring Benefits in Cloud Computing
● Proper monitoring leads to increased availability for servers, services, and applications, and helps avoid problems.
● Monitoring the cloud environment helps organizations detect network outages quickly and efficiently.
● Understanding how to properly monitor the cloud computing environment enables an organization to plan for future resource utilization and to become proactive instead of reactive.
● Monitoring allows an organization to plan for future resource utilization and respond to issues that arise with the cloud environment.
● Monitoring is a key metric when providing chargeback and resource provisioning.
● Monitoring the cloud environment allows an organization to plan for future growth and to be proactive when it comes to distributing compute resources.
● Without a proper monitoring solution, it becomes difficult to respond quickly to a constantly changing environment.
● Effective monitoring techniques provide an efficient means of monitoring all aspects of a cloud environment without placing a major performance burden on the environment itself.
● Monitoring techniques should be able to manage the performance of the enterprise and give detailed information on the current usage of the cloud environment.
● Combining monitoring and alerting gives an administrator a way to be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to the cloud environment.
● Being able to control multiple virtualization host computers from a single console saves time and makes managing the cloud environment an easier task.
● An administrator can use a variety of protocols to monitor an environment, and there are various ways in which an administrator can be notified of potential problems.
● One of the goals of monitoring an environment is to ensure the overall health of the environment.
● An administrator can publish cloud health statistics on a corporate intranet site, allowing the entire organization access to the health data.
● An administrator might publish a dashboard on the company Intranet site that shows the current Service Level Agreements (SLAs) of the organization and whether or not the IT department has met those SLAs.
● Monitoring is needed for chargeback.
● An IT department can monitor the cloud environment and get a report on who consumed which compute resources and for how long, allowing the organization to charge the proper department or show the proper individual the use of those compute resources.
● Monitoring a cloud environment can ensure the overall health of the environment and gives an IT department the ability to measure the cloud service against its SLAs.
Related products to help you upskill
The industry-recognized CCC Professional Cloud Administrator certification provides you a hands-on, practical approach to Cloud provisioning for administrators and touches upon all the aspects of administering Cloud services. The training covers best practices on Cloud administration, Open Source, as well as global vendor standards.
Never miss an interesting article
Get our latest news, tutorials, guides, tips & deals delivered to your inbox.